Well, I have be trying to deconstruct various types of so-called Hawaiian style breads without satisfaction. So, I decided to start off from scratch and make the bread to my own tastes and I came up with the following recipe:
MAKING THE DOUGH
1) To be frank, I have manually kneaded dough too many times to mention and I short cut the process using a bread machine for getting the dough ready for baking. I don’t like the results of baking the bread with the machine… but mixing is a wonder.
2) Place 2 eggs in a measuring cup and add enough water to reach the 1 1/2 cup line. Pour into bread machine mixing container.
3) Add 1 tsp salt ( I used Iodized for health reasons)
4) Add a heaping cup of powdered sugar
5) Add 4 cups of bread flower
6) top off with 2 teaspoons of dry yeast ( 2 packages)
7) set bread machine to make 2lbs of dough
8) After machine completes its cycle, divide dough and place in 2 butter greased bread pans and allow to rise for 1 hour. Brush the top of the bread with a beaten egg mixed with a small amount of water.
9) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
My daughter Karla is the most demanding of bread connoisseurs … but this is her favorite.